Sunday, January 19, 2014

Shrink Plastic & Die Cuts & Resin



Materials:
Shrinky Dinks brand black, inkjet and white

Spellbinders Fleur de lis for the squares,


Spellbinders Decorative Labels 8 for the one rectangle,
Decorative Labels 8 for the simple church one.
Circle punch 2" from Michaels' recollection
Toothpicks
mixing plastic cup
wood stick for mixing
straw for gently blowing the resin for the bubbles to come up
hole puncher for the little holes
Enviro Tex Lite resin
Brother and sister stamp from Magnolia with stazon ink

White stazon opaque on black:
      Little circles had Inkadinkado flowers and butterflies background stamp
      Large circle had Hero Arts Flower swirl Vine stamp

Krylon crystal clear spray

Stamp your image with stazon, the opaque white looks really nice on black or print your image on inkjet.  Remember to lighten your image quite a bit.  On Photoshop Elements I put my image at 50 to 60% transparency.

Pick a nice size die and remember it will shrink to about 40% of original size.  I also put a white copier paper on top of the shrink plastic so it won't pick up little pieces of other paper or smudge.  After you die cut gently fold the plastic and paper back and forth and peel the paper off your shrink plastic.

Bake according to directions, I take it out of oven 30 seconds after it flattens out.  I place it on a flat surface and flatten them out with an acrylic block so they are nice and level.

Wait a few minutes.  Then I give them a nice coat of Acrylic sealer (outside since it smells) and let them dry.

The next day, I mix up a small quantity of Envirotex, a little goes a long way.  I place the shrinks on a non stick mat (silicone mat works well or wax paper).  I mix the resin gently but thoroughly.  With the wood stick I get a bit of resin and drop it gently in the middle of my shrink, I start with less so it doesn't drip down the sides.  I get a toothpick and gently push the resin to the edges being careful not to push it too far out.  With a straw, I gently blow the resin.  This pops the little bubbles and that's why you need thin layers.  Make sure you don't blow too much condensation or the moisture in your breath will ruin your piece.

Slowly add more resin until you have a nice dome.  I can push resin just around my little holes so that they actually don't get covered by the resin.  Cover them with a tupperware or something to keep dust from settling on them.  I moved them a little to make sure that the resin didn't pool at the bottom on the intricate designs.

Wait until it cures (72 hours) then you  have your nice charm!!!

A Little detail on what a nice dome they have:



No comments:

Post a Comment